Thursday, July 1, 2010

Mind Wanderings

I don't really have anything to say.

That's a lie.

I just don't really know what I want to say. I feel like I should say something. seeing as I haven't posted anything for like three weeks. Normal family blogs put up cute pictures of their kids when they go somewhere, or do something fun. I however don't have any cute kids, and it just feels odd to me to post cute things i've said or done. It just doesn't have quite the same effect. Maybe I should start doing it for my roommates....I must say I do a fairly decent job in the photograph documenting department, but I kind of struggle in the arena of the written word.

SO...I just thought I'd jot down a few ideas bobbin around in this head of mine.

In one of my English classes we're reading Jane Austen. I have a love of Jane Austen engrained into me because of one of my best friends in high school, Lauren Milburn. She LOVED Jane Austen and we watched countless movies, talked about her....and....well that very abbreviated list occupied many hours, so regardless of its pitiful length, my ears perk up whenever I hear Jane Austen. I realized though, that I'd never actually read any Jane AUsten. until now. We were assigned to read Persuasion (in one night mind you...welcome, self to the joys of being an english major)And I loved it! It was kind of hard to get started and Jane (we're tight like that...) can insert characters like there's no tomorrow. BUt I LOVE her subtle humor and societal commentary! It was a very entertaining read! And of course I'm blogging about it instead of writing my paper about how the title plays an important role in conveying the theme....but I'll get to that later. I'm preserving records for my posterity. Priorities. So reading it also made me realize I am SOO glad I live in the 21st century. All the societal rules; you must do this, don't do that, who's invited to what party. blech. but at the same time, I came to the conclusion that things really haven't changed all that much. I was surprised how often I was going through and I totally related to what Jane was talking about. Who knew. DId you know Jane Austen was never married?? I think I knew that at one point, but it totally made sense because the story was chock full of girl's love life fantasies. Aside to men happening to read this- Read Jane Austen. Get a clue.

That's enough of my little book review.

I am loving life in Provo. It is SO fun being out here for summer! Everyone told me it would be, but I never realize the truth of statements like that until I actually do it. I should. but I don't. Ok. My time here has come to an end. I must return to my duties. "dead guy duty. cooking duty. Maybe I need some better duties!" Nacho Libre

Just some tidbits from life in happy valley:

My birthday motorcycle ride.

My adorable roommates with the poster Brittany made for my B-day

Hiking some random trail. Well, there was a rather lack of a trail really. We just scaled this mountain :)

No comments:

Post a Comment